Affiliate marketing is a great way to earn money, but it can be kind of tricky if you’re new to it. There are a lot of different moving parts and pieces, and knowing how to get started is essential. In this post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about affiliate marketing so that you can get started.
What is affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which you earn a commission by promoting a company’s products. You don’t need to be an expert or have your own product, but you do need to have some kind of audience—a blog or social media following works just fine.
Affiliate marketing has been around for decades, but it gained popularity with the rise of e-commerce websites like Amazon and eBay. Today, affiliates promote everything from clothing brands to travel sites to online casinos on behalf of these large retailers.
Affiliate marketing can also be used as a way to monetize your email list (i.e., send out emails about products from companies and get paid if people click through and make purchases).
How does affiliate marketing work?
Affiliate marketing is a way for you to make money by promoting other people’s products or services. In this situation, you are the affiliate and you are rewarded every time someone clicks on your link and makes a purchase.
Here’s how it works:
- A website owner (the publisher) offers an affiliate program through their site. This is usually done through links that say “Earn commissions with our affiliate program” or something similar. When the visitor clicks on one of these links, they are taken to an application form where they can sign up as an affiliate partner with the publisher in order to receive commissions for sales made by customers coming from your links.
- The publisher will have set up their own rules around how much commission they’ll pay out per sale (usually between 5% – 25%) which could vary depending upon what kind of traffic comes from your website/blog/social media accounts etc., but generally speaking the more sales that are generated by visitors using your link then higher percentage cut publishers will want from each sale!
Why is affiliate marketing important?
One of the most important things to understand about affiliate marketing is that it can be used for a variety of different reasons. You don’t have to be an e-commerce business or even sell physical products at all—you can use affiliate marketing for any type of online business, including:
- Mobile app downloads
- Software downloads
- Webinar registrations
- Email list signups
You can also use affiliate marketing to increase social media engagement, grow your email list and drive traffic back to your website (and therefore generate more direct sales).
Types of affiliate programs
- Performance-based. With performance-based programs, you earn a commission based on how many sales are made and how much revenue the advertiser earns. For example, if you sell a $100 product and the publisher gets paid $10 for every sale, you will also receive a percentage of this amount as well.
- Pay-per-sale (PPS). PPS programs pay affiliates for each and every sale that happens within a certain time frame or during some other promotion period (like Black Friday). You can earn anywhere from 5% to 50% per sale depending on the product being sold, but it depends on what kind of partnership was agreed upon with your advertisers before they signed up with them in exchange for their services/products being advertised through affiliate marketing sites like yours!
- Pay-per-lead (PPL). In this scheme of things affiliates get paid when leads generated through their efforts come back into one form or another such as phone calls made by prospective customers interested in buying something online after clicking links provided by them earlier on web pages where advertisements were displayed upon visiting those pages first time around too!
How to set up an affiliate program
How to set up an affiliate program in Shopify
Setting up an affiliate program with Shopify is quite simple. All you have to do is go to the Affiliate tab and click “Create a new account”.
Once you’ve completed your first order, you can start promoting that product by creating an affiliate link using the “Link type” dropdown menu on the left side of your screen. Click on the “Create Link” button and select which channel(s) you’d like to use (CJ, DS or ShareASale). You’ll now be given some options on how best promote that product/service:
- Copy And Paste Links – Copy any existing link from one of your other marketing channels and simply paste it into this window; or
- Create New Links – This option allows for more customization such as specifying which products should be included in these links (if any), whether they should all display the same price per unit, etc.; or
- Generate QR Codes For Mobile Devices – QR codes are basically barcodes that mobile devices are able to read thanks their built-in camera lenses! They’re becoming increasingly popular because they make it easy for customers who want more information about something before buying just scan them with their phones’ cameras instead needing access Internet connection.”
How to drive traffic to your affiliate program
- Drive traffic to your affiliate program.
- Use social media, email marketing, and other channels.
- Make sure you have a strong call to action.
- Test your landing page and keep improving it.
- Make sure you have a strong value proposition (a clear explanation of why someone should click through).
- Use an irresistible offer that converts well (i.e., gets people to take action on your landing page).
Affiliate marketing is a great revenue stream for many businesses.
- Affiliate marketing is a great way to generate revenue from your website or blog. You can use affiliate marketing to generate leads, drive traffic to your website, and sell products.
- Affiliate marketing can be used for many different purposes:
- * Generating Leads: Using affiliate links in your email signature or on your social media profiles is an effective way of generating leads for your business. In fact, according to one study, 55% of consumers who responded to an advertisement clicked on the link provided within it. That means that if you are trying to increase sales through email marketing or social media posts, then using affiliates may be a good option for you! If the product being advertised makes people interested enough in reading more about it (even if they aren’t interested in making a purchase right away), then there’s no harm done by sending them over toward their site instead! The only downside here would be if someone purchases something without having looked at other options first; this could lead them down some dead ends where nothing else seems like what they’re looking for — but hopefully they’ll find what they need before too long!
Affiliate marketing is a great way to add a new revenue stream to your existing business. You can also use it as an additional outlet for promoting your products or services to new customers without having to pay in advance for advertising. The main thing you need before getting started with affiliate marketing are clear goals, strategies, and timelines. That’s why we recommend talking over these points before starting any program so that everyone will be on the same page when it comes time to measure success!